This covered market to the west of Venizelou Street has been a multi-purpose commercial center for centuries. The building is rectangular with four entrances, of which the central one (to Venizelou Street) has an arch and six domes on the roof. It was built by order of Sultan Bayezid II (1481-1512) as a repository for high value goods. It evolved into a textiles, bridal outfits and jewels market, but the value of available products is no longer the same: the market nowadays offers low budget goods. Diagonally opposite to the market’s entrance, on the corner of Venizelou and Ermou, there is a bronze sculpture dedicated to the memory of Grigoris Lambrakis, a member of parliament for EDA. In 1963, at this point, the MP was murdered by members of parastate organizations and the incident was mentioned at “Z”, a film by director Costas Gavras.